Sunday, May 29, 2016

What About Your Friends?

This month three different people asked me the same question, so I figured it was worthy of a post. "How do you feel about your friends supporting your art? Should they have to pay? How do you feel when they don't show up?"

I have been blessed with a GREAT circle of friends. Some were in my life for short bursts, but most of my friends have known me for over a decade. I consider them real, true friends. If you are any kind of artist, not only should your friends pay, they should be the first ones jumping up to support you behind your mama and your crazy cousin who yells the loudest in the audience (hey ReRe!). If your friends are not supporting you, then you may need to question your circle. You truly are like the five people you hang around the most. Now be realistic, not everyone is going to make it to every show, and you can't ask your friends for money every time you see them, but they should have a desire to see you be successful. All of my friends have supported me through attendance and finances at multiple shows, but keep in mind you have to be the same kind of friend you're asking for. I support them in all their endeavors however I can. A friendship should be symbiotic, meaning both parties should be giving and receiving.



As a matter of fact, I don't like to wear people out when it comes to my shows, because I have events weekly, but my friends actually get upset if I don't tell them information about what I'm going to be doing. They buy tickets, tell friends about my talents and more. When I think about it, I'm always going the extra mile for people I love, so I'm in equally yoked friendships. Other people will get excited about what you're excited about, so if you are excited about your achievements and your friends are excited for you, people will become interested in what you do. Not only when it comes to arts though, your friends should be supporting you in life. Look around and make sure that your "friends" deserve that title, and if they don't redefine the relationships in your life. This advice is easier given than followed, because we become comfortable with certain presences around us, but as you grow, you will outgrow people, too. And that's okay. You want quality around you and the truth is, sometimes the ties that bind just don't hold up anymore. If you have any doubt about what you're asking of your buddies, put yourself in their shoes. If one of you is Wyatt Earp, the other has to be Doc Holliday, otherwise that friendship already has a tombstone. (See what I did, there?) *milly rocks until next time*

2 comments: