Sunday, November 13, 2016

Don't Pick a Poison...Pick You


It's okay not to deal with toxic people...even if those people are your family members. With the holidays approaching, it's easy to get caught up in drama that has nothing to do with you - don't. Be understanding and know that some people manifest negativity and will project their insecurities and problems onto you because they don't know any better. 

It took me a very long time to remove myself from toxicity, and honestly I still find myself wrapped in it sometimes, but less and less these days. You do not have to pick a poison and furthermore, you don't have to feel guilty about your decision to remove yourself. I've had people tell me even witchcraft is going on around me when I don't want to succumb to toxic situations. The only witchcraft I see is when people don't take care of their mental health. There such a stigma on mental issues, especially in the African American community. I love God and I will see a therapist in a heartbeat. There is nothing wrong with doing both. Sometimes I wish I could get along with certain folks. I yearn for closeness with some of the ones I love, but until they can take care of themselves better, I can't be around them. It's like standing next to a live mine, you don't know when it will go off, you are sure to be blown up, but you're expected to do it because that's your friend, neighbor, sister, dad, etc. Break free from the expectations and obligations of the external world. Get in tune with yourself. As long as you know who you are and why you've chosen not to be in a toxic situation, that's all that matters. And if that situation changes, great! More love for you! But if it doesn't and you keep banging your head against a brick wall, no one gets bloodied but you. The brick wall never feels a thing. I'm saying this as a reminder to myself and as a comfort to my readers. 


I don't know what your scenario might be, but ask yourself the questions that you keep avoiding. Is this relationship toxic? Do I feel good around this person? Do I have good reactions to what this person is talking about? Does something need to change in this relationship? If it does, sooner is always better than later in this case. It will be tough, you will want to hate yourself for it, but in the long run, in your future, there should only be good, healthy relationships. Don't pick a poison, suck it out. Block their number, stop the conversation, don't show up...take a step towards a healthier life mentally. Love and light to everyone reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment